About the station
Chichiri Parish, is one of the parishes in the Anglican Diocese of Southern Malawi, and was founded in 1950 by Father Hand, an Anglican Missionary priest who came to Malawi then Nyasaland in 1916. The church was built with his own funds with the intention of accommodating the small African community in his ministry. After his resignation, the church became under Soche Parish until 1988. During this period the Church was served by priests from Soche Parish and other Parishes within the City of Blantyre, as follows: Fr. Paul Kalima, Late Fr. George Msakwiza, Late Fr. Alford Zimba, Late Fr. Stanley Mandala, Late Bishop Nathaniel Aipa, Late Fr. Morris Malasa, Late Fr. Julius Douglas Mututa, Late Fr. Joseph Likoleche, Canon Patrick Asani, Fr. Stewart Lane, Late Fr. Ernest Chimpango, Canon Keith Newton, Fr. Charles Masina and Fr. Bernard Malango (Emeritius Archbishop). Owing to growing numbers of church members, in 1989, the Diocesan Pastoral Committee assigned a full time priest to St Matthews Anglican Church, the late Canon John Parslow; who was the Priest-in-Charge from 1989 to 1999 when he retired due to ill-health. He was succeeded by Fr. Steven Sikoti, followed by Fr. Makweya Chanza, Fr. Kondwani Jabu and currently Canon Patrick Mapundula. The primary role of the parish is proclaiming the gospel in word, deed and service in the power of the Holy Spirit.