St. John's College, started in 1915 and is the only boys' school in Nugegoda, Sri Lanka. It contains two primary sections and upper school. Nugegoda had no English School until 1915. St. John's School commenced with 14 pupils on 5 May 1915. In 1934, the mixed school of St. John's was separated into separate Boys and Girls schools, with the boys school known as the College of St. John, Nugeogda.
In 1915, five Wardens of the Church of St. John, led by the Very Reverend John Henry Wickramanayake, secured a piece of land in Nugegoda from the Bishop of Colombo. They collected money to establish an English School with 15 students.
Initially it was a Christian Mission school and the first principal of the school was Rev. Fr. J. H. Wickramanayake. In 1934, the mixes school was separated into Girls' and Boys' schools. The girls' school was known as st John's Girls' School and boys' school was known as St John's boys' college. The schools were under the church of SS Mary and John, Nugegoda.
There was a Tamil stream as well but the classes were initially at the boys' school and then transferred to a building adjacent to the Church. It became a separate school and was called Tamil Maha Vidyalaya. In 1963 under the government re-organisation of schools, all English medium classes were transferred to st Joseph's Convent.